All-Day Event on Aug. 10 to Feature Many Distinguished Guests
The Ohio Women Veterans Conference is just weeks away and several topflight speakers are now committed to attend and address former military members during the daylong event, which is scheduled for Saturday, August 10, and will be held at the Ohio Union on the campus of The Ohio State University.
Registration is required. To sign up online and for a complete listing of breakout sessions, speakers, social activities on Friday, August 9, and more information on the expo and purpose of the conference, go to OhioVets.gov.
The Ohio Women Veterans Conference is one of the largest gatherings of women veterans in the nation. It provides resources and networking opportunities for sisters in military service of all eras from WWII to present-day Iraq and Afghanistan. Ohio is home to 67,000 women veterans.
This year’s theme is …. #SheServedToo – Strong. Healthy. Empowered.
Rear Admiral (U.S. Coast Guard, retired) June Ryan, formerly in command of the USCG’s 9th District in Cleveland. Ms. Ryan is the first enlisted woman to rise to the rank of Rear Admiral in the Coast Guard.
Major General (U.S. Army, retired) Deborah Ashenhurst, Director of the Ohio Department of Veterans Services. She served as the Ohio Adjutant General under former Gov. John Kasich and Gov. Mike DeWine appointed her as ODVS Director in January of this year, making Director Ashenhurst the first female to serve in each of those roles.
Among other noteworthy guests who will be on hand is national speaker and U.S. Army veteran Meaghan Mobbs, a clinical psychology Predoctoral Fellow at Teachers College, Columbia University.
Several women veterans who are current members of the Ohio General Assembly also are expected to be on hand and participate in a roundtable discussion during the conference.
For a complete listing of speakers and theirs bios, go to … http://dvs.ohio.gov/main/library/womenvets/2019Conference/Speakers.pdf
- A dozen breakout sessions are scheduled, with topics such as Cultural Change in the Military and Civilian Sectors, The Veteran Entrepreneur, Public Service as a Career Choice, Women Veterans Healthcare at the VA, 10 Characteristics of Professionalism and more.
- The Expo is one of the top exhibitor shows in Ohio designed for women veterans featuring financial services, health and personal care, destinations, mentoring, service organizations, volunteer opportunities and products designed especially for you.
- New this year is the HER2 (Health, Empowerment, Restoration and Relaxation) Room, which is designed to center mental, physical, spiritual and emotional care through yoga, iRest, expressive art and small group discussions.
- Also, representatives of the office of Franklin County Recorder Daniel J. O’Connor Jr. will attend and have equipment to print out veteran ID cards for those in attendance. The cards are valid for former service members residing in any of Ohio’s 88 counties.
Mix, Muster & Mingle:
Another new component of this year’s conference is Mix, Muster & Mingle, which is set for Friday, August 9 and features the following optional events:
- 1 p.m. – Ohio Statehouse tour
- 3 p.m. – National Veterans Memorial & Museum tour
- 5 p.m. – Welcome Reception @ SpringHill Suites
- 5:30 p.m. – Hofbrauhuas Dinner
- 6:15 p.m. – Columbus Clippers Presents Ohio Women Veterans Night @ Huntington Park
- Approx. 9 p.m. – Nightcap Network in Short North Arts District
Registration for the 2019 Ohio Women Veterans Conference is available at OhioVets.gov. Deadline is July 31.
Search Press Releases